How to disable the splash screen of Firefox portable 3.5

Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 by Erlik

I have recently upgraded the installation of Firefox portable that I use at work from version 2.0.18 to the brand new version 3.5. I am very happy with the increase in performance, but this created an issue: the Firefox portable splash screen that I had disabled previously was back!

It was easy to disable the splash screen of old versions of Firefox portable: just start Firefoxportable.exe with the "- nosplashscreen" argument. Well, that does not work with Firefox portable 3.5 anymore! After some research I finally found out how to remove the splash screen on new versions of Firefox portable, it is just a bit more complicated:

1) On the drive where you installed firefox portable, go to the folder "FirefoxPortable\Other\Source"

2) In that folder you will find a file called "FirefoxPortable.ini", open that file with notepad

3) Locate the line with "DisableSplashScreen=false" and replace it by "DisableSplashScreen=true" like on the screenshot below.


4) Save the file and copy "FirefoxPortable.ini" to the "FirefoxPortable" directory (where you should find "FirefoxPortable.exe"


5) Restart Firefox portable 3.5, the splash screen should have been disabled!

Note that this is explained in the readme file in the same folder as "Firefoxportable.ini", but that file is not easy to find! For me it is important to disable the splash screen of Firefox portable because I don't want everybody around me to notice that I use that instead of the "company approved" browser (IE 6.0). I also wanted to upgrade Firefox to version 3.5 because it is much faster than Firefox 2 when rendering Javascript heavy pages like Gmail or iGoogle. Now my problem is solved!

Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark newsvine live slashdot Submit to OSNews

2 Responses to "How to disable the splash screen of Firefox portable 3.5":

lgoose says:

It works! Thanks! =)

Anonymous says:

Works fine to me too !

Same situation : we only have IE 6.0 at work !

Thanks !