What are your top 5 geek TV shows?

Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 by Erlik

To finish the week on light note I propose you the following: give me your top 5 geek TV shows. There are quite a few geek shows that have entered into mainstream culture and have become big successes, but here is what I would consider to be the top 5 geek TV shows of all time:

5th position: Weird Science

Although the series never was as good as the movie, the two computer nerds that created the perfect girl by wearing bras over their heads still deserver a place in the pantheon of TV Geekdom. The film had the courage to have geeks as main characters long before geeks were fashionable.

4th position: Star Trek

Are the Trekkies geeks? I certainly think so! Anybody who walks at conventions with pointy Vulcan ears speaking Klingon does deserve to be called a geek. Star Trek stand for a lot of the geek values: the cult of technology, the drive to explore new possibilities and the acceptance of cultural diversity are good example.

3rd position: Chobits

Geek and anime are two things that go very well together. I couldn't do this list without including at least one anime. I choose Chobits as this is by far one of the geekiest anime available outside of Japan. The story of the geek that found the ultimate robotic woman is too good to pass up. Humor, romance, adventure, computers and sexy robots: Chobits has all the things that a geek could desire.

2nd position: Systm

I know, Systm is not really on TV, it's on the internet and it is currently on hiatus, but it's a TV show anyway. With such classics as the beer keg robot, the home made flametrower, the DIY lightsaber, the liquid nitrogen ice cream, the giant hamster wheel and the gravity boots, Systm deserve a prize for the sheer number of geek projects on the show. This was also the first show of the revision 3 network to meet with some success, so it actually played a part in the development of the professional video podcasts industry. Since it is free head to the revision3 site and download a few episodes.

1st position: The big bang theory

This is by far my favorite geek show. the story of the four geeks and the beautiful girl is a topic that could easily turn into a "let's laugh at the geek" fest, but instead the geeky heroes seems to always come out on top. Actually I think that this is a show that would make people want to be geeks!

That was my top five geek TV shows. Now hit the comments and let me know what are your own favorites!

Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark newsvine live slashdot Submit to OSNews

4 Responses to "What are your top 5 geek TV shows?":

Anonymous says:

I absolutely love and identify with The Big Bang Theory. There is too much of Sheldon in me! Long live us geeks!

Bobby Diaz says:

You should check out The IT Crowd, its a British TV show...funny as hell!

Just as good as The Big Bang Theory!

KM says:

I agree that Big Bang Theory takes the cake. But what about Chuck?

Anonymous says:

I don't know. I like BBT, but think a show like Community is much geek friendlier. It's written better, and mad meta.